Skip to main content
Image of apartments

Online Services

Concurrence and Referral service

The Department of Planning and Environment has developed an online service for councils to facilitate State agency consultation on development applications.

The service helps reduce assessment times and enables applicants to pay fees online and track the consultation process.

It supports broader reforms that make the development application process more efficient and allows the Secretary to step in to resolve delays. This service is expected to save applicants up to 11 days compared to current assessment times.

The online service is part of a digital-first planning environment that simplifies and fast tracks the approval process for development applications.

Who can use the online Concurrence and Referral service?

The online Concurrence and Referral service is open to all councils in NSW. Once they have received training in the system they will commence processing all agency advice requests via the online service.

The following councils are currently using the system:

Albury City Council

Balranald Shire Council

Bega Valley Shire Council

Bellingen Shire Council

Blue Mountains City Council

Byron Shire Council

Central Coast Council

Cessnock City Council

City of Canada Bay Council

City of Ryde Council

Clarence Valley Council

Council of the City of Sydney

Cowra Shire Council

Edward River Council

Hawkesbury City Council

Hay Shire Council

Inner West Council

Lake Macquarie City Council

Lismore City Council

Lithgow City Council

Liverpool Plains Shire Council

Mid-Western Regional Council

Moree Plains Shire Council

Mosman Council

Nambucca Shire Council

Penrith City Council

Randwick City Council

Shoalhaven City Council

Singleton Council

Strathfield Municipal Council

Sutherland Shire Council

Tamworth Regional Council

The Hills Shire Council

Tweed Shire Council

Warrumbungle Shire Council

Wollondilly Shire Council


State agencies using the system have their own dashboard, so they can receive and action requests online. Legislated timeframes have been built into the system, so all stakeholders will be prompted to ensure an efficient turnaround of applications.Additional councils are actively being trained and will begin using the system progressively through 2019.

Applicants requesting an approval for a DA in those local government areas using the service will need to register to the NSW Planning Portal to create their own account. Registered applicants have access to their own dashboard, which enables them to pay any relevant fees online and to track the progress of the concurrence and referral request in real time.

How to access the Online concurrence and referral service

  1. Register for, or log into, your NSW Planning Portal account
  2. Upon successful log in, select the relevant application from your dashboard.
  3. You are able to view, track or make payments online to state agencies related to your development application from this location.

More information

If you need assistance using the Online concurrence and referral service, please view our  HowTo guides or contact ServiceNSW on 1300 305 695 for additional support.

Councils will now be able to request for Secretary’s Intervention on a Concurrence and Referral case.

For more information, please contact the ePlanning team at