Skip to main content
Image of fifteen diverse people standing around a round table with their arms extended, creating a circle with their hands

Help and Training

Applicant Resources

How-to or quick reference guides and other resources designed to assist applicants and STRA registrants using the NSW Planning Portal.

To help applicants and Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) registrants to use the NSW Planning Portal we have compiled a comprehensive collection of resources.

We have prepared a series of quick reference guides to help first-time users and those wishing to gain access to the NSW Planning Portal.

Before you begin

If you do not have a NSW Planning Portal account, or are having problems registering, then this video and quick reference guide will help you through the process.

QRG: How to register for the NSW Planning Portal

If you already have a NSW Planning Portal account but need help to navigate the dashboard, then the following video and guide will provide the assistance you need.

QRG: Navigating the NSW Planning Portal Dashboard

Additional information may be requested by council prior to your application being lodged or at any time during the assessment process. This guide will show you how to provide additional information.

QRG: How to provide Additional Information

Frequently asked questions about using the NSW Planning Portal are answered on our FAQ page.

Our Applicant services

Organised by service type or topic, these quick reference guides (QRGs), fact sheets and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) should provide suitable guidance for all applicants and Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) registrants.

Activation Precinct Certificate

Here is the Activation Precinct Certificate Application

QRG: How to submit an Activation Precinct Certificate Application 

10.7 Certificates

In council areas where the online 10.7 Planning Certificate Service is available, applicants and councils can work together on requests for 10.7 Planning Certificates through shared digital dashboards.

QRG: How to use the online Section 10.7 Planning Certificate service 

Building Information Certificate (BIC)

A Building Information Certificate application is to include an original or certified copy of a survey report and plan if it is related to residential zoned land.  For land situated in other zones, you may be required to provide a survey report. The survey report and plan must represent the property and buildings as existing at the time of lodging the application.  Additional information may also need to be provided (including building plans, specifications and certificates) to allow Council to assess the application.

QRG: How to Submit Building Information Certificate Application

Complying Development Certificates (CDC)

It’s always best to check with your individual council before you begin a Complying Development certificate application for its requirements.

QRG: Submitting a Complying Development Certificate Application

FAQs: Complying Development Certificates

Concurrence and Referrals

This online service is part of a digital-first planning environment that simplifies and fast tracks the approval process for development applications.

QRG: Online Payments for Concurrence and Referrals

FAQs: Concurrence and Referrals

Construction certificates

In many council areas, you can apply online for a Construction Certificate via the NSW Planning Portal when lodging a development application. Here are some useful resources to help you through the process.

QRG: How to submit an Application for a Construction Certificate

Development Applications (DAs)

A development application is one of the most frequently used services by applicants on the NSW Planning Portal. Here are some useful quick reference guides (QRG) and resources to help you with your application.

QRG: Submitting a Development Application online

QRG: Deferring Commencement of a Development Application Online

QRG: How to withdraw a Development Application

FAQs: Development Applications

Natural Resources Access Regulator (NRAR)

The Natural Resources Access Regulator (NRAR) requires landholders on waterfront land to apply for a Controlled Activity Approval (CAA) for their works before they start. Approvals usually contain conditions to minimise the impact of the activity or works on the waterway and adjoining land.

By requiring landholders to get a CAA before carrying out works on waterfront land, NRAR prevents activities that could alter water flow or quality, destabilise beds or banks of waterways, cause erosion, or disturb wildlife habitats.

Most controlled activities also need development approval from your local council. If this is the case, you will need to lodge what is known as an Integrated Development Assessment System Development Application (IDAS DA).

The following guides will help you with completing NRAR-related applications on the NSW Planning Portal.

QRG: Lodging a New Controlled Activity Approval (CAA) or Amendment Application

QRG: Creating a Controlled Activity Approval (CAA) Surrender Application

QRG: Applying for a Controlled Activity Approval (CAA) Security Bond Release

Occupation Certificates (OCs)

The issue of the final OC is the last step in the formal DA and construction process (though there could be ongoing ‘operational’ conditions such as maintaining appropriate noise levels or landscape maintenance).

QRG: How to submit an application for an Occupation Certificate

Planning Proposals

A planning proposal document can be prepared by a council, a landowner or developer seeking to change the planning controls relating to a particular site, area, locality or local government area, or by a third party on behalf of a landowner or council.

QRG: Submitting a Planning Proposal

QRG: Initiating a Rezoning Review

Principal Certifiers

You can apply for a principal certifier appointment via the NSW Planning Portal using two different methods. Applicants can apply via a stand-alone application (consent application is outside of the Portal) or via an online development (DA) or online complying development certificate (CDC) application.

QRG: Submitting an Application to Appoint a Principal Certifier

Publish on Portal

Upload Land and Environment Court documentation to the NSW Planning Portal

QRG: How to upload LEC documents to the NSW Planning Portal

Roads Act (Sections 125, 138 and 144)

Section 68

In some council areas, it’s possible to submit an application under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 online.

QRG: Submitting an Application under Section 68 of the Local Government Act

SEPP applications

Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA)

The STRA framework allows registrants to register their property and make their registration fee payment via the NSW Planning Portal. Registrants can also manage their properties via the STRA Listings area - this includes de-registering your property, registration status and property details. Registrants can enter the bookings for their STRA properties via the STRA Listings area.

QRG: Registering a Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) Property

QRG: De-Registering a Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) Property

QRG: Managing Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) Bookings

QRG: How to manage a Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) property

QRG: Manage Host and Registrant Details for a Registered STRA Property

QRG: How to renew a Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) property

QRG - How to transfer management of a Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) property

Spatial Viewer

The ePlanning Spatial Viewer is an enhanced digital mapping service that provides easy-to-use, information-rich maps for every address and lot in NSW.

QRG: Using and navigating the ePlanning Spatial Viewer 

FAQs: ePlanning Spatial Viewer

Special Infrastructure Contributions (SIC)

State Design Review Panel (SDRP)

The State Design Review Panel (SDRP) is a multi-disciplinary panel of highly experienced built-environment professionals from industry and government that provides independent advice on the design quality of major development proposals in NSW. More information is available at the Government Architecht NSW website.

Government Architect NSW (GANSW)

The SDRP Application provides a digital workflow that will enable proponents to create a new SDRP application online, provide contact and project-related information and upload submission requirements for Panel review meetings as determined by the SDRP team.

QRG: Submitting an Online SDRP Application

QRG: Responding to SDRP Submission Requirements

QRG: Providing Missing SDRP Submission Information

QRG: Requesting a New SDRP Meeting

QRG: Uploading the Final SDRP Design Presentation

QRG: Withdrawing an SDRP Application

QRG: Providing Additional Information

Subdivision and Subdivision Works Certificates

If these services are not yet available in your local government area, you can apply directly to your local council or search for an accredited certifier on the Building Professionals Board’s Register.

QRG: Applying for a Subdivision Certificate

QRG: Applying for a Subdivision Works Certificate

Tree Permits

You can request to have a tree pruned, replaced or removed on a private property by submitting a Private Tree Permit application on the NSW Planning Portal.

QRG: Applying for a Private Tree Permit

Portal fees

In accordance with the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, applicants are required to pay a digital application processing fee for certain planning applications and certificates.

A full list of fees can be found on the NSW Planning Portal Service Fees page.

Further assistance

If you require assistance using the Planning Portal, and you were unable to find the answer on these pages, please contact ServiceNSW for assistance.

Call 1300 305 695 or email [email protected].