Skip to main content
image of construction works house

Development Assessment

Local Development

Local development is the most common type of development in NSW, with projects ranging from home extensions to medium-sized commercial, retail and industrial developments.

What is Local Development?

A development is considered local development if a local environmental plan (LEP) or State environmental planning policy (SEPP) states that development consent is required before the development can take place.

The procedures for applying for development consent, the level of environmental assessment required, the notification required, and appeal rights will differ depending on how a development is categorised. These categories include designated development, integrated development and advertised development.


Online DA Service  

If you’re seeking council approval on a new build or renovation, you can submit development applications (DA) online – anywhere, anytime, with our Online DA Service.

Use of the service became mandatory for selected Greater Sydney and regional-centre councils on 1 July 2020. All councils can voluntarily elect to utilise the Portal and the use of the Online DA Service will be expanded throughout 2020-21 and become mandatory for all councils from July 2021.

Simply check the list of councils below to see if the service is available in your Local Government Area.

How to lodge

  1. Register for a NSW Planning Portal account to start your application.
  2. Log in to complete the online application form. You will need to submit a Statement of Environmental Effects and a Cost Estimate Report. You may be required to submit further documents to support your development application.

If you are having difficulty using the Online DA Service, please contact the ePlanning support team at

Your guide to the DA process

Building a new house or renovating your property is always exciting. However, the Development Application process can sometimes be confusing and overwhelming. That’s why we’ve developed ‘Your guide to the Development Application process – Small housing development’, so the pathway to building your home can be faster and easier.

View your guide

The Best Practice Guide for Councils

The guide draws on successful practices used by councils that assist in the timely determination of development applications. It was developed in close collaboration with a number of high growth local councils and draws on their proven processes and procedures.

Since the guide was released, the Department has met with 37 councils across regional and metropolitan NSW to discuss their development assessment processes. Many councils site the guide as a useful resource and benchmarking tool. 

View the Best Practice Guide

Bushfire recovery

During this devasting bushfire season, many people within NSW have lost their home or business.

Residents and businesses will be making decisions in the coming weeks and months about how to rebuild.

The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has been assisting bushfire impacted councils and communities across the state to provide support throughout the rebuilding process.

More information is available on the Departments website.

View information

Councils using the Online DA service