New South Wales
I have attended the information sessions, and have also thoroughly reviewed the proposal. I am a local resident, with children that have attended/are attending Marsden High School. I am also very familiar with the TAFE site location of the new school, as my children also attended playgroup there for over 4 years. My comments are as follows:
* The site itself has major limitations in accessibility, especially given that there will be an additional 2500 school students, and 3000 TAFE students at peak capacity.
*The current school design is a vast improvement on the previously submitted new design. However, it is still a large multi-storey school on a small site (2500 students, on 3.3 hectares). By contrast, the existing Marsden High School, on 5.4 hectares, does not have these site constraints, and has room for expansion. It is also close to the major redevelopment occurring at Melrose Park (6000-11000 units).
*The TAFE site is only road-accessible via 2 major roads - Victoria Road (congested), and Constitution Road (also congested, and severely "pinched" at the Meadowbank Station railway crossing).
*It is not feasible to suggest, as the plan does, that most people should travel by train (already over capacity), foot (footpaths / safe road crossings need major upgrade / improved accessibility) or bike (these roads are FAR too busy for safe cycling). Major infrastructure for train, road and cycling/walking would need to be invested in, to make this workable.
* Assuming many users will be coming by car (especially in wet weather), there is insufficient kiss-and-ride provision. This is a MAJOR issue, and could potentially gridlock the whole area.
* The plan indicates there will be up to 200 teachers/support staff, but parking provision for only 60. There is EXTREMELY LIMITED street parking, and no nearby parking stations or facilities. This is a serious issue, and needs to be addressed.
* If some students/teachers are to come by train, it is most logical that most will come via West Ryde station (as the Marsden catchment area is to the north and west of this site). The access to the school site from West Ryde station needs a MASSIVE upgrade. Presently, this would involve students crossing a very busy Victoria Road. An overpass to the southern side of Victoria Road should be a mandatory part of this development.
* Emphasis needs to be given to possibly more accessibility to / sharing of the TAFE open spaces, provided child safety/security issues can be addressed.
* The West Ryde pumping station is adjacent to the new school development. If there is "spare" land that can be utilised there, as has been proposed, this should be looked upon favourably, for greater open space/accessibility to the West Ryde train station/additional parking facilities.
I hope the above issues can be addressed, and I look forward to additional feedback. Best regards,