Skip to main content
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

You can find all frequently asked questions for the NSW Planning Portal here

If your query is not answered by one of the FAQs below, please contact ServiceNSW on 1300 305 695 for assistance.

  • Cladding Register
  • Planning Portal accounts
  • ePlanning Spatial Viewer
  • Online complying development service
  • Online concurrence and referral service
  • Online development application service
  • Using the Planning Portal

Cladding Register

How do I find out if my building is already registered?

We are unable to advise you if a particular property has been registered.

If you are the owner of the property and you have not completed a registration, please do so. If you are one of the owners of the building, please speak to your Strata Manager or Body Corporate to confirm if a registration has been submitted.

Am I able to view the list of registered buildings? 

The buildings registered on the Cladding Register are not publicly available. 

Please view the Cladding Regulation Online Registration System website for additional frequently asked questions.

Planning Portal accounts

Are there any password requirements when creating a Planning Portal account?

The password requirements are:

  • It must be at least eight characters long
  • It must have a maximum of 16 characters
  • Passwords can’t contain parts of the email address that exceeds two consecutive characters
  • It must contain three of the following:
    • Uppercase letters (A through Z)
    • Lowercase letters (a through z)
    • Numbers (0 through 9)
    • The following non-alphabetic characters: ~! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + - = { } [ ] | \ : ; “ ‘ < > ? , . /

When I clicked on the verification link in the email, I received an error message stating it had expired. Can you please resend the link?

The verification link in the Planning Portal account validation email remains active for 24 hours. If you are unable to validate your account within this time period, you will need to re-create your account.

How do I reset my Planning Portal account password?

To reset your password, please select “Forgot password” hyperlink on the Planning Portal log in page.

You will be required to input the email address for the Planning Portal account. An email will be sent to this registered address. Please click on the reset password link within this email. You will be prompted to input a new password.

I have created a Planning Portal account but I have not received the validation email. What should I do?

When you create a Planning Portal account, the system will automatically send you a validation email. This will be sent from email address . If it is not in your inbox, please check your junk or spam email folders.

We are unable to resend the validation email. If it is not received, please add the email address to your contact list and register once again.

ePlanning Spatial Viewer

What’s new about the Spatial Viewer?
Where can I get help with the Spatial Viewer?
Can I print the terms and conditions?
How do I start a new search?
How do I turn on layers?
How do I re-orientate the map to north?
How do I generate a property report?
What happens if I select a layer and it doesn’t appear on the map?
Can I change the base maps?
Can I search on a map?
What is an LEP?
What is a SEPP?
How do I find the Greenfield Code layer?

Once you have input a registered address, you are able to view the Greenfield layer by selecting the subject land layer. This is found within the State Environmental Planning Policy folder and under the SEPP(Exempt and Complying) section. This information will also show on the property report (it will say Subject land).

How do I find the zoning information for a property?

You are able to view the zoning for a property once you have input a registered address. You can view this information in either the:

1. Search results tab on the right hand side of the screen: If you open this and click on the plus symbol beside the Land Zoning option, it will display the zoning for that property.

2. Select the land zoning layer from the layers tab on the left hand side of the screen: The viewer will display the land zoning on the map once selected. To view the legend, select the legend tab on the left hand side of the screen.

Online complying development service

Can I submit an application through the online service to any council?

Can I submit an application through the online service if my property is in more than one local government area?

Some properties in NSW are in more than one local government area. Lodging a complying development application for these sites will need to be done offline with your certifier or local council.

Will private certifiers be available for selection within the service as the nominated certification organisation?

We are looking to expand the online complying development service to include private certifiers in a future release. If you are a private certifier and would like to register your interest, please send an email to .

Can I pay the fees related to my complying development application online?

Your nominated certifier will contact you directly to provide a fee quotation and their preferred method/s of payment. This will take place outside the online complying development service.

Online concurrence and referral service

I have received an email requesting that I pay for my concurrence online. How do I do this?

If you have lodged a development application with a council that is using the online concurrence and referral service, the associated agency requests will be processed via this system. This includes the payment of any associated fees and charges.

You will receive a system generated email requesting that payment be made via the Planning Portal. To view and/or pay the associated fees, please log in or create an account using the email address that the email was sent to. Once payment has been received, the request/s will be sent to the Agencies to review.

What payment methods are accepted through the Planning Portal?

You can pay your fee invoice using BPay or a credit card (Mastercard or VISA).

The payment date for the concurrence fees associated with my development application has passed. Am I able to still make the payment online?

Yes. You can make the payment after the due date. Please log in using the registered account associated with the case, this is identified in the “To” field of the email, to make this payment.

Online development application service

I want to submit a section 4.55 application via the Portal, what development type do I select?

Once you have logged into the Planning Portal, click “New” and select “Development application” from the drop-down list. You will be asked to nominate the type of application, at this point select “Modification application”.

Can I pay the fees related to my development application online?

The relevant council will contact you directly to provide a fee quotation and their preferred method/s of payment. This will take place outside the online development application service.

How do I track the progress of my development application?

If you submitted your development application via the Planning Portal, you can track the status of your application through the status column on your dashboard when you sign into your account.

If you require further information, please contact the relevant council.

Using the Planning Portal

How do I optimise my experience when I use the Planning Portal?

To view the NSW Planning Portal in the best possible way, it is recommended to use Google Chrome version 66.0 or higher.

Other browsers that support the NSW Planning Portal are:

  • Safari
  • Mozilla firefox
  • Microsoft Edge 44.0
  • Internet Explorer 11 (Please note, versions lower than IE11 are not supported with the NSW Planning Portal. Microsoft are currently rolling out updates to Windows 7 and 10 users to upgrade their browsers throughout 2019).

You can now view the Planning Portal on the following compatible mobile devices:

  • Google Android OS devices
  • Apple OS devices
  • Windows OS devices (Microsoft Edge)

If you are having trouble accessing the NSW Planning Portal please contact ServiceNSW on 13 77 88 or email

Do I need access to the internet to use the Planning Portal?

Yes. You will need to be connected to the internet as the Planning Portal is a web-based tool.

How do I provide feedback on the Planning Portal?

Please use the feedback widget located on the right-hand side of the homepage to leave your feedback on the Planning Portal. 

If you would like a response, please ensure that you provide your contact details.

How do I adjust the screen for accessibility?

The Planning Portal has features to increase accessibility on the website including High Contrast and the ability to change the text size.

To change your display to high contrast, click the “High Contrast” button at the top of the page to the left of the search bar. 

Can I access the Department's website from the Planning Portal?

Yes. To go to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment’s website, click the NSW DPE tab above the logo on the top left-hand side of the page.